ಠ_ಠ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ಠ_ಠ

ಠ_ಠ

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

TECHNICAL ISSUES

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Fuckpencil
Right Hand of Doom
Right Hand of Doom
Fuckpencil

Male
Number of posts : 3220

TECHNICAL ISSUES Empty
PostSubject: TECHNICAL ISSUES   TECHNICAL ISSUES EmptyThu Aug 21, 2008 12:53 am

In a sleepy moment a couple of months ago, I downloaded 4OnDemand to my computer. It's taken about two minutes longer than was usual for my computer to load up every time I've switched it on since.

I've tried to remove 4OnDemand altogether a few times to remedy this, but the uninstall process always halts just prior to the end for some reason.

Worse still, I've recently discovered I can't uninstall any program because, apparently, "another installation's still in progress" (presuming it's the 4OnDemand installation that went wrong).

Please advise :>)

Also, a related technical matter...I'd like to make Realplayer or Windows Media Player my player of choice (i.e: audio/video clips opening automatically with either program). Currently, a combination of Quicktime and iTunes scuppers some clips from downloading, but, as mentioned above, I can't simply delete Quicktime and iTunes from my computer :>S
Back to top Go down
Char
Peon
Peon
Char

Female
Number of posts : 118

TECHNICAL ISSUES Empty
PostSubject: Re: TECHNICAL ISSUES   TECHNICAL ISSUES EmptyThu Aug 21, 2008 2:03 am

restore your computer to before the installation of 4OD
Back to top Go down
Fuckpencil
Right Hand of Doom
Right Hand of Doom
Fuckpencil

Male

TECHNICAL ISSUES Empty
PostSubject: Re: TECHNICAL ISSUES   TECHNICAL ISSUES EmptyThu Aug 21, 2008 2:43 am

I'm afraid whatever's happened seems to have fucked the System Restore option. I tried restoring to points in early May and early August to no avail. It just says something like "There have been no changes to your computer since the chosen restore point" despite my knowledge of the contrary.
Back to top Go down
Char
Peon
Peon
Char

Female

TECHNICAL ISSUES Empty
PostSubject: Re: TECHNICAL ISSUES   TECHNICAL ISSUES EmptyThu Aug 21, 2008 3:08 am

My knowledge is limited Sad sorry
Back to top Go down
Fuckpencil
Right Hand of Doom
Right Hand of Doom
Fuckpencil

Male

TECHNICAL ISSUES Empty
PostSubject: Re: TECHNICAL ISSUES   TECHNICAL ISSUES EmptyThu Aug 21, 2008 3:17 am

Cheers for reminding me of System Restore anyhow.
Back to top Go down
Char
Peon
Peon
Char

Female

TECHNICAL ISSUES Empty
PostSubject: Re: TECHNICAL ISSUES   TECHNICAL ISSUES EmptyThu Aug 21, 2008 3:27 am

just curious, did you do it in safe mode?
Back to top Go down
Fuckpencil
Right Hand of Doom
Right Hand of Doom
Fuckpencil

Male

TECHNICAL ISSUES Empty
PostSubject: Re: TECHNICAL ISSUES   TECHNICAL ISSUES EmptyThu Aug 21, 2008 3:32 am

The restore? I'm not sure, but I'll give anything a try. How do I do that?
Back to top Go down
Char
Peon
Peon
Char

Female

TECHNICAL ISSUES Empty
PostSubject: Re: TECHNICAL ISSUES   TECHNICAL ISSUES EmptyThu Aug 21, 2008 3:57 am

When you restart your computer tap F8 immedietely as it turns on until a different screen comes up, select start in safe mode, then restore it like that. No unneccesary programs start which could interfere.
Back to top Go down
Fuckpencil
Right Hand of Doom
Right Hand of Doom
Fuckpencil

Male

TECHNICAL ISSUES Empty
PostSubject: Re: TECHNICAL ISSUES   TECHNICAL ISSUES EmptyThu Aug 21, 2008 4:01 am

So it'll give me a System Restore option and the same restore point choices if I do this?
Back to top Go down
Char
Peon
Peon
Char

Female

TECHNICAL ISSUES Empty
PostSubject: Re: TECHNICAL ISSUES   TECHNICAL ISSUES EmptyThu Aug 21, 2008 4:12 am

Yes
Back to top Go down
Fuckpencil
Right Hand of Doom
Right Hand of Doom
Fuckpencil

Male

TECHNICAL ISSUES Empty
PostSubject: Re: TECHNICAL ISSUES   TECHNICAL ISSUES EmptyThu Aug 21, 2008 4:13 am

Okiedokie. I'll whirl with that once other maintenance operations conclude :>)
Back to top Go down
Hector
Consigliere
Consigliere

Number of posts : 1835

TECHNICAL ISSUES Empty
PostSubject: Re: TECHNICAL ISSUES   TECHNICAL ISSUES EmptyThu Aug 21, 2008 5:37 am

When you go into Add/Remove Programs, is there something there called Kontiki, or KService?
Back to top Go down
Fuckpencil
Right Hand of Doom
Right Hand of Doom
Fuckpencil

Male

TECHNICAL ISSUES Empty
PostSubject: Re: TECHNICAL ISSUES   TECHNICAL ISSUES EmptyThu Aug 21, 2008 6:53 am

KService might ring a bell from trying to repair 4OnDemand (so as to remove it - something I still haven't managed) this morning. Neither term's in the list of programs, however.
Back to top Go down
Hector
Consigliere
Consigliere

Number of posts : 1835

TECHNICAL ISSUES Empty
PostSubject: Re: TECHNICAL ISSUES   TECHNICAL ISSUES EmptyThu Aug 21, 2008 8:13 am

You can download a tool called KClean which should remove KService. You can download it from HERE. It's from Sky's web site because they use Kontiki for their video thing (so do the BBC, as well.)

Run that, restart, then try and uninstall 4oD again.
Back to top Go down
Fuckpencil
Right Hand of Doom
Right Hand of Doom
Fuckpencil

Male

TECHNICAL ISSUES Empty
PostSubject: Re: TECHNICAL ISSUES   TECHNICAL ISSUES EmptyThu Aug 21, 2008 9:48 am

I had a try, but alas to no avail. I'll have to press F8 later.
Back to top Go down
Shamone Slime
Affable Scamp
Affable Scamp

Number of posts : 847

TECHNICAL ISSUES Empty
PostSubject: Re: TECHNICAL ISSUES   TECHNICAL ISSUES EmptyThu Aug 21, 2008 9:51 am

Just accept the additional two minutes of loading up and bite the bullet.
Back to top Go down
elprawn
Internet Villain
Internet Villain
elprawn

Number of posts : 462

TECHNICAL ISSUES Empty
PostSubject: Re: TECHNICAL ISSUES   TECHNICAL ISSUES EmptyThu Aug 21, 2008 9:54 am

Just re-install it then run msconfig from Start -> Run. From there you can remove it from the startup list.
Back to top Go down
Fuckpencil
Right Hand of Doom
Right Hand of Doom
Fuckpencil

Male

TECHNICAL ISSUES Empty
PostSubject: Re: TECHNICAL ISSUES   TECHNICAL ISSUES EmptyThu Aug 21, 2008 1:09 pm

If it was just waiting the two minutes, I'd bite that bullet, but it's not allowing me to uninstall any other programs.

I've just tried the F8 Safe Mode option. It didn't work. Summat's up. I'd like to try the MS Config option. How would I go about this? Reinstalling from the C4 site whilst it's already installed? Surely it'll say "Already Installed" or summat :>S
Back to top Go down
elprawn
Internet Villain
Internet Villain
elprawn

TECHNICAL ISSUES Empty
PostSubject: Re: TECHNICAL ISSUES   TECHNICAL ISSUES EmptyThu Aug 21, 2008 1:28 pm

Yeah, try installing it despite the fact it is already.
Back to top Go down
Fuckpencil
Right Hand of Doom
Right Hand of Doom
Fuckpencil

Male

TECHNICAL ISSUES Empty
PostSubject: Re: TECHNICAL ISSUES   TECHNICAL ISSUES EmptyThu Aug 21, 2008 1:38 pm

I installed it again. Then, tried both "Repair" and "Remove" via Add/Remove Programs. In both instances, the following message popped up...

"Error 1500. Another installation is in progress. You must complete that installation before continuing this one".

Grateful of any other suggestions.
Back to top Go down
elprawn
Internet Villain
Internet Villain
elprawn

TECHNICAL ISSUES Empty
PostSubject: Re: TECHNICAL ISSUES   TECHNICAL ISSUES EmptyThu Aug 21, 2008 1:40 pm

Do a ctrl+alt+delete and look for the installation file. If you see it then close it.
Back to top Go down
Fuckpencil
Right Hand of Doom
Right Hand of Doom
Fuckpencil

Male

TECHNICAL ISSUES Empty
PostSubject: Re: TECHNICAL ISSUES   TECHNICAL ISSUES EmptyThu Aug 21, 2008 1:44 pm

I'll do so. "KService" is in the list of "Processes". Should I end that process?
Back to top Go down
elprawn
Internet Villain
Internet Villain
elprawn

TECHNICAL ISSUES Empty
PostSubject: Re: TECHNICAL ISSUES   TECHNICAL ISSUES EmptyThu Aug 21, 2008 1:45 pm

Yeah.
Back to top Go down
Fuckpencil
Right Hand of Doom
Right Hand of Doom
Fuckpencil

Male

TECHNICAL ISSUES Empty
PostSubject: Re: TECHNICAL ISSUES   TECHNICAL ISSUES EmptyThu Aug 21, 2008 1:58 pm

farao Got there in the end :cheers:

Merci beaucoup :>)
Back to top Go down
elprawn
Internet Villain
Internet Villain
elprawn

TECHNICAL ISSUES Empty
PostSubject: Re: TECHNICAL ISSUES   TECHNICAL ISSUES EmptyThu Aug 21, 2008 2:00 pm

No probs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

TECHNICAL ISSUES Empty
PostSubject: Re: TECHNICAL ISSUES   TECHNICAL ISSUES Empty

Back to top Go down

TECHNICAL ISSUES
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ಠ_ಠ :: Forums :: WTV3-
Jump to: