ಠ_ಠ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ಠ_ಠ

ಠ_ಠ

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

SCRATCHCOCK

Go down 
+6
Narg
tinkapeel
ginwai
Tired-Hippo
plecko
Fuckpencil
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Fuckpencil
Right Hand of Doom
Right Hand of Doom
Fuckpencil

Male
Number of posts : 3220

SCRATCHCOCK - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: SCRATCHCOCK   SCRATCHCOCK - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 10:21 am

I also play the Saturday lottery every week, keeping the exact same numbers. More chance of a big win than if I changed numbers each week.
Back to top Go down
Tired-Hippo
Make it stop!
Make it stop!

Male
Number of posts : 22552

PostSubject: Re: SCRATCHCOCK   SCRATCHCOCK - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 10:22 am

Actually..statisticly thats wrong
Back to top Go down
Narg
Kristyn II
Kristyn II
Narg

Male
Number of posts : 1123

PostSubject: Re: SCRATCHCOCK   SCRATCHCOCK - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 10:25 am

tiredhippo wrote:
Actually..statisticly thats wrong
Back to top Go down
Fuckpencil
Right Hand of Doom
Right Hand of Doom
Fuckpencil

Male

PostSubject: Re: SCRATCHCOCK   SCRATCHCOCK - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 10:25 am

How so? I admit I only scraped a C at Maths.
Back to top Go down
Tired-Hippo
Make it stop!
Make it stop!

Male

PostSubject: Re: SCRATCHCOCK   SCRATCHCOCK - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 10:28 am

When you flip a coin itsalways 50/50, ust because you get heads doesn't mean theres less chance of getting heads next time.
Back to top Go down
Narg
Kristyn II
Kristyn II
Narg

Male

PostSubject: Re: SCRATCHCOCK   SCRATCHCOCK - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 10:30 am

Yeah. Hippo knows the score.
Back to top Go down
Fuckpencil
Right Hand of Doom
Right Hand of Doom
Fuckpencil

Male

PostSubject: Re: SCRATCHCOCK   SCRATCHCOCK - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 10:31 am

Hmmm....But if you judge the lottery on however many times you play during your life, then common sense (something I also struggle with) suggests keeping the same numbers increases your chance of a win thanks to the law of averages, etc.
Back to top Go down
Tired-Hippo
Make it stop!
Make it stop!

Male

PostSubject: Re: SCRATCHCOCK   SCRATCHCOCK - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 10:32 am

Not really...just makes you avoid the pain of thinking "shit I had those numbers last week"
Back to top Go down
Narg
Kristyn II
Kristyn II
Narg

Male

PostSubject: Re: SCRATCHCOCK   SCRATCHCOCK - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 10:38 am

Fuckpencil wrote:
Hmmm....But if you judge the lottery on however many times you play during your life, then common sense (something I also struggle with) suggests keeping the same numbers increases your chance of a win thanks to the law of averages, etc.

Haha, a good attempt at worming out. But if I flipped a coin ten times, the combination:

HHHHHHHHHH

is just as likely as:

HHTHTTTHHT.

I'm just as likely to hit a win by always choosing heads, as by following any obscure pattern I can think of. Equivalently, playing the Lottery your whole life and always going for the same numbers will give you the same expected value as choosing randomly each time.
Back to top Go down
Narg
Kristyn II
Kristyn II
Narg

Male

PostSubject: Re: SCRATCHCOCK   SCRATCHCOCK - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 10:43 am

On the subject of statistical misconceptions, have you heard of the Monty Hall scenario, Fucky? If you haven't, consider this;

You are a contestant on a gameshow faced with 3 doors. Behind one is a sports car: behind the other two are goats. You choose one door, and the host allows you to know one of the others doors that has a goat behind it (there is at least one). You're then allowed to stick with your choice and go with what's behind it, or change doors. The question is, will one of these strategies give you a better chance of winning; should you stick, switch, or should you just flip a coin?
Back to top Go down
Fuckpencil
Right Hand of Doom
Right Hand of Doom
Fuckpencil

Male

PostSubject: Re: SCRATCHCOCK   SCRATCHCOCK - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 10:46 am

So, using logic, you have an equal chance of a big win if you choose either option. Choosing the same numbers option lets me avoid that factor Hippo mentioned at least. I know my numbers by heart now.

Monty Hall sounds like the banker's swap the box offer.
Back to top Go down
Tired-Hippo
Make it stop!
Make it stop!

Male

PostSubject: Re: SCRATCHCOCK   SCRATCHCOCK - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 10:47 am

Stick......I like goats.
Back to top Go down
Narg
Kristyn II
Kristyn II
Narg

Male

PostSubject: Re: SCRATCHCOCK   SCRATCHCOCK - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 12:10 pm

Fuckpencil wrote:
Monty Hall sounds like the banker's swap the box offer.

heh, almost, except they're completely different. They're different probabilistic situations: in DOND every box has a different specific amount to begin with, whereas in Monty Hall you're simply more likely to have chosen a goat first time round. DOND is full of idiotic ways to produce pointless dramatic effect.
Back to top Go down
O Goncho
Dungeon Keeper
Dungeon Keeper
O Goncho

Male
Number of posts : 7943

PostSubject: Re: SCRATCHCOCK   SCRATCHCOCK - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 12:12 pm

[quote="Narg"]
Fuckpencil wrote:
heh, almost, except they're completely different..

lol, subtle harsh.
Back to top Go down
Fuckpencil
Right Hand of Doom
Right Hand of Doom
Fuckpencil

Male

PostSubject: Re: SCRATCHCOCK   SCRATCHCOCK - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 12:18 pm

king
Back to top Go down
Fuckpencil
Right Hand of Doom
Right Hand of Doom
Fuckpencil

Male

PostSubject: Re: SCRATCHCOCK   SCRATCHCOCK - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 11:29 am

Miss World wrote:
I won about £60 from three/four scratch crads in a row Creepy Smile

Were they bought on the same occasion and from the same box? If so, this adds further plausibility to the occasional "winning box" theory. Also, how much did each of these scratchcards cost? Arrow
Back to top Go down
elprawn
Internet Villain
Internet Villain
elprawn

Number of posts : 462

PostSubject: Re: SCRATCHCOCK   SCRATCHCOCK - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 11:31 am

Fucky, you'll never get rich playing scratchcards. They were invented to drain people of their money, not vice versa.
Back to top Go down
Fuckpencil
Right Hand of Doom
Right Hand of Doom
Fuckpencil

Male

PostSubject: Re: SCRATCHCOCK   SCRATCHCOCK - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 11:36 am

I realise winning a big sum's still a longshot, but at least the odds are better. Also, I'm quite the miser. I could make a £500 win go a fair bit further than most people.
Back to top Go down
elprawn
Internet Villain
Internet Villain
elprawn

Number of posts : 462

PostSubject: Re: SCRATCHCOCK   SCRATCHCOCK - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 11:40 am

Why not put a thousand pounds on a dead cert footy match and win back a couple of hundred?
Back to top Go down
Resurrection_Tokyo
Flower Girl
Flower Girl
Resurrection_Tokyo

Female
Number of posts : 692

PostSubject: Re: SCRATCHCOCK   SCRATCHCOCK - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 11:47 am

I'm sorry but it seem like every thread turns into some kind of boring British conversation. Might as well have tea and pastries.
Back to top Go down
http://mocospace.com/bitterfly
O Goncho
Dungeon Keeper
Dungeon Keeper
O Goncho

Male

PostSubject: Re: SCRATCHCOCK   SCRATCHCOCK - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 11:48 am

Spice it up then, Gatoraide.
Back to top Go down
Resurrection_Tokyo
Flower Girl
Flower Girl
Resurrection_Tokyo

Female
Number of posts : 692

PostSubject: Re: SCRATCHCOCK   SCRATCHCOCK - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 11:50 am

gatorade?

anyway......I have get back to work....
Back to top Go down
http://mocospace.com/bitterfly
O Goncho
Dungeon Keeper
Dungeon Keeper
O Goncho

Male

PostSubject: Re: SCRATCHCOCK   SCRATCHCOCK - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 11:50 am

Thanks for stopping by.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SCRATCHCOCK   SCRATCHCOCK - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

SCRATCHCOCK
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ಠ_ಠ :: Forums :: WTV3-
Jump to: