ಠ_ಠ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ಠ_ಠ

ಠ_ಠ

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition

Go down 
+20
harmar
Fuckpencil
Spectral Knight
dissolvedgirl
Narg
Cropcircle Hair
Fu Manchu
ReDfEsTeR
ROCK AND ROLL
AceCombat
ginwai
kimdealslover
BRYN_BORANGA
Shaunography
Big_Fat_Dan
bidders
r new pal
Benicio Del Roro
lobster_johnson
O Goncho
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Shaunography
Funky Samurai
Funky Samurai
Shaunography

Male
Number of posts : 1297

Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition   Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2009 6:10 am

BRYN_BORANGA wrote:
Shaunography wrote:
BRYN_BORANGA wrote:
Yeah, I do like 'The Last To Know', but on the whole I feel the album is incoherent and suffers not only from Big Sick Ugly Jim's departure (a lot of the guitar is very basic, sometimes just demo-y strumming), but another figure notable by his absence on a lot of the tracks is Roddy Bottum. As a result it sounds bland and indistinguishable from a lot of punky shouting people. 'Digging The Grave' was such a disappointing single.

Dude, Angel Dust would have sounded the exact same (if not better) if Jim hadn't have been there. Watch the Angel Dust sessions on Youtube - when they're interviewing him he's by far the least enthusiastic member, by far the least creative and talks shit about basically every band member. He said that he didn't like the music on the album and hated the album's title. Jim's the last person you want to thank for Angel Dust.

Oh yeah, I know that. Apparently he worked on his own and came back with all these shitty one-note guitar solos and stuff, but they got there in the end and at least he and his riffs were there. And he contributed the mighty 'Jizzlobber'. With KFAD all Patton had to work with was the (admittedly awesome) rhythm section, but without the interplay of Jim's Sabbathness and Roddy's homosexualisms it just didn't feel like Faith No More to me, and still doesn't.

Roddy contributed to AOTY a lot more than he did on KFAD... I believe his Dad died around the same time as the recording sessions, thus his absence. Don't get me wrong, Angel Dust is my aourite FNM album.

And yeah, Jizzlobber rules.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/shaunography
BRYN_BORANGA
Gozer ¬_¬
Gozer ¬_¬
BRYN_BORANGA

Male
Number of posts : 4880

PostSubject: Re: Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition   Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2009 6:11 am

I may be misremembering this but apart from his obvious antipathy for the material and direction the band were going in at the time, apparently Jim's lack of enthusiasm was also linked to the death of his father at around the time of the recording. Interestingly, the same reason was given for Roddy for his lack of involvement with KFAD (the death of his own father, not Jim's lol). Maybe it's just music industry slang for drug addiction.
Back to top Go down
Shaunography
Funky Samurai
Funky Samurai
Shaunography

Male

PostSubject: Re: Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition   Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2009 6:11 am

kimdealslover wrote:
Wan't the whole Jim/Patton feud at breaking point by that time? I know he didn't want to go in the direction they were heading after Angel Dust and promptly acted like a right twat when Patton took over. Well it was sorta his band to begin with.

Nah, it's Puffy, Roddy and Billy's band.
Back to top Go down
BRYN_BORANGA
Gozer ¬_¬
Gozer ¬_¬
BRYN_BORANGA

Male

PostSubject: Re: Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition   Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2009 6:12 am

YEAH MAN! We are the KINGS of musician dad death factz!!!!
Back to top Go down
ginwai
Shapeshifting Master of Darkness
ginwai

Number of posts : 5066

PostSubject: Re: Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition   Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2009 6:12 am

i put the King For A Day album on my iPod the other day and still the only truly great song on it is The Last To Know. i really have to be in the mood for the rest of it.

Album Of The Year's fuckin' A though. not even a sniff of Jim there.
Back to top Go down
bidders
Awesome Wizard Whale
Awesome Wizard Whale
bidders

Number of posts : 4246

PostSubject: Re: Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition   Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2009 6:17 am

Patton projects post FNM pwn anything FNM ever did, SO THERE! :-P
Back to top Go down
ginwai
ginwai

Number of posts : 5066

PostSubject: Re: Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition   Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2009 6:18 am

Tomahawk debut equals it. not sure about everything else.
Back to top Go down
bidders
Awesome Wizard Whale
Awesome Wizard Whale
bidders

Number of posts : 4246

PostSubject: Re: Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition   Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2009 6:21 am

Fantomassssssssosmfgmomfgomdgofmgofmgofmfogmggffpfl¬!
Back to top Go down
BRYN_BORANGA
Gozer ¬_¬
Gozer ¬_¬
BRYN_BORANGA

Male

PostSubject: Re: Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition   Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2009 6:22 am

Here's an opinion about FNM that you're all gonna love:

I think both Chuck Mosely albums are better than 'The Real Thing'.
Back to top Go down
BRYN_BORANGA
Gozer ¬_¬
Gozer ¬_¬
BRYN_BORANGA

Male

PostSubject: Re: Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition   Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2009 6:23 am

I've never given Patton's solo stuff much time, maybe cos he's just too prolific. It's too daunting to start even thinking about it.
Back to top Go down
Shaunography
Funky Samurai
Funky Samurai
Shaunography

Male

PostSubject: Re: Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition   Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2009 6:39 am

ginwai wrote:
Tomahawk debut equals it. not sure about everything else.

Tomahawk's "Anonymous" is up there with Patton's best albums and his album with John Kaada is absolutely flawless. Naked City is another band to check out, but it's more John Zorn's band than Patton's. Bungle's his best band, though, I think.
Back to top Go down
Shaunography
Funky Samurai
Funky Samurai
Shaunography

Male

PostSubject: Re: Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition   Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2009 6:41 am

BRYN_BORANGA wrote:
I've never given Patton's solo stuff much time, maybe cos he's just too prolific. It's too daunting to start even thinking about it.

Nah, gotta catch 'em all!

Seriously though, there's a lot of good stuff. Peeping Tom or Mr Bungle's "California" may be a good place to start. Also try his EP with Dillinger Escape Plan, if you're into the heavier stuff.
Back to top Go down
kimdealslover
Funky Samurai
Funky Samurai
kimdealslover

Male
Number of posts : 1461

PostSubject: Re: Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition   Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2009 6:52 am

I actually hate the Dillinger EP.

It's fucking overrated claptrap.
Back to top Go down
kimdealslover
Funky Samurai
Funky Samurai
kimdealslover

Male

PostSubject: Re: Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition   Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2009 6:54 am

BRYN_BORANGA wrote:

I know a friend who thinks the same way. I don't think I stick any of Chuck Mosely's 'singing' for more than two songs.
Back to top Go down
Big_Fat_Dan
Belly'll Getcha
Belly'll Getcha
Big_Fat_Dan

Male
Number of posts : 2350

PostSubject: Re: Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition   Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2009 11:58 am

i like the Dillinger Ep
Back to top Go down
Shaunography
Funky Samurai
Funky Samurai
Shaunography

Male

PostSubject: Re: Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition   Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 2:55 am

kimdealslover wrote:
BRYN_BORANGA wrote:

I know a friend who thinks the same way. I don't think I stick any of Chuck Mosely's 'singing' for more than two songs.

I agree with you about that, but "Irony is a Dead Scene" was sick. WGDDBT = win
Back to top Go down
BRYN_BORANGA
Gozer ¬_¬
Gozer ¬_¬
BRYN_BORANGA

Male

PostSubject: Re: Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition   Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 5:02 pm

Captain Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica is the best album in the world, ever. If you've heard it, you will either agree with that statement unequivocally or puke through your eyes in rage.
Back to top Go down
AceCombat
A Very Good Troll
A Very Good Troll

Female
Number of posts : 8855

PostSubject: Re: Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition   Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 5:06 pm

I bought that for my sister once, because the name made me lol.. Still havn't heard it, though I'm pretty sure she hates it...
Back to top Go down
BRYN_BORANGA
Gozer ¬_¬
Gozer ¬_¬
BRYN_BORANGA

Male

PostSubject: Re: Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition   Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 5:11 pm

I used to fucking hate it, and I mean fucking hate it, like it was a bad joke that cost me eight quid. I'm not quite sure what changed, but now whenever I hear a song off it on shuffle, I have to listen to the whole album. It's a genuinely unique album, something even its detractors have to admit.
Back to top Go down
AceCombat
A Very Good Troll
A Very Good Troll

Female
Number of posts : 8855

PostSubject: Re: Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition   Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 5:21 pm

I should listen to it... Now that you've got me curious...
Back to top Go down
ROCK AND ROLL
Evangelist
Evangelist
ROCK AND ROLL

Male
Number of posts : 2412

PostSubject: Re: Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition   Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 12:07 am

The singing on "The Real Thing" influenced my singing and the overall weight of my voice. I gained upper range notes practicing along with "From Out Of Nowhere". I don't like the other stuff so much.
Back to top Go down
kimdealslover
Funky Samurai
Funky Samurai
kimdealslover

Male

PostSubject: Re: Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition   Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 4:33 am

BRYN_BORANGA wrote:
Captain Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica is the best album in the world, ever. If you've heard it, you will either agree with that statement unequivocally or puke through your eyes in rage.

Yeah. I once watched a documentary about that album and just about every celeb interviewee thought it was shit at first but think it's the best thing ever. At least they were honest.
Back to top Go down
O Goncho
Dungeon Keeper
Dungeon Keeper
O Goncho

Male
Number of posts : 7943

PostSubject: Re: Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition   Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 3:40 pm

I quite like that annoying new iPod touch song. Shoot me.
Back to top Go down
Shaunography
Funky Samurai
Funky Samurai
Shaunography

Male

PostSubject: Re: Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition   Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 3:28 pm

Captain Beefheart is beyond overrated and is about as experimental as a bag of peanuts.
Back to top Go down
ReDfEsTeR
Right Hand of Doom
Right Hand of Doom
ReDfEsTeR

Male
Number of posts : 3269

PostSubject: Re: Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition   Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 06, 2009 7:02 pm

pink floyd are shit
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition   Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Your Unpopular Opinion: Music Edition
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next