ಠ_ಠ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ಠ_ಠ

ಠ_ಠ

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing?

Go down 
+3
mrblackbat
ginwai
Tired-Hippo
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Tired-Hippo
Make it stop!
Make it stop!

Male
Number of posts : 22552

Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing? Empty
PostSubject: Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing?   Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing? EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 3:24 am

Having just read that there will already be DLC for resi 5 thats not much more than a couple of online multiplayer modes...modes that have trophies avaliable for them before they've even been release, I have to ask, is DLC a good thing?

Or do you feel that developers are getting into the habit of leaving extra stuff out so they can charge for it later?

Personal I think that both these modes could of, and frankly should of been in the full game.
Back to top Go down
ginwai
Shapeshifting Master of Darkness
ginwai

Number of posts : 5066

PostSubject: Re: Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing?   Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing? EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 4:13 am

good in the sense that it cuts out the middleman and therefore the extra cost of going out and buying it. good in the sense that once you've finished a game it's not necessarily over.

bad in the sense that developers are likely to use it as an excuse to charge more for stuff that really should be in the game in the first place, as you point out.

i think it's a good thing as long as the consumer weeds out the cynical marketing and shows developers and publishers that we won't buy if it's a rip off. i don't think it'll work that way though. people piss and moan but then part with their cash anyway. it's always been the way.
Back to top Go down
Tired-Hippo
Make it stop!
Make it stop!

Male

PostSubject: Re: Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing?   Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing? EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 4:18 am

I don't think that'll happen though, because they stuff they often cynically keep out is often cheaper than stuff that actually adds to the game.

Throw in the fact that you also have to buy points on all 3 consoles in £5 chunks, and you'll often end up with let over bits that end up being spent on these cheaper, but more cynical add ons.

I think sony and microsoft should step in and do a few things....primarily any content thats released a month after the games release should be free.

Course that does bring up the problem of them holding back on releasing it but they'll just have to figure out a way to prevent that dag nam it.
Back to top Go down
ginwai
ginwai

PostSubject: Re: Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing?   Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing? EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 4:25 am

it's £7 chunks on the Wii. or £10 if you're a schmuck without a credit card and have to buy in a shop Grumble, groan, moan
Back to top Go down
Tired-Hippo
Make it stop!
Make it stop!

Male

PostSubject: Re: Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing?   Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing? EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 4:50 am

You ever used the stars catelogue on their website?
Back to top Go down
ginwai
ginwai

PostSubject: Re: Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing?   Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing? EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 5:02 am

i had a look once and it was just page after page of shit. i hear they occasionally have some cool stuff in but it's gone as soon as it's put up.
Back to top Go down
ginwai
ginwai

PostSubject: Re: Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing?   Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing? EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 5:06 am

the Japanese store once had Classic controllers in the style of a SNES pad. what do we get? Donkey Kong screensavers and a Luigi keyring. fuck off.
Back to top Go down
Tired-Hippo
Make it stop!
Make it stop!

Male

PostSubject: Re: Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing?   Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing? EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 5:11 am

You can get wii points cards you know......
Back to top Go down
ginwai
ginwai

PostSubject: Re: Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing?   Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing? EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 5:22 am

they weren't on last time i checked. how much for 1000 points?
Back to top Go down
Tired-Hippo
Make it stop!
Make it stop!

Male

PostSubject: Re: Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing?   Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing? EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 5:27 am

400 for a 100 card.

4000 for a 1000 card.

And if you get 15000 star points you can get a gold statue of link....(frazers trying hard for that one).
Back to top Go down
ginwai
ginwai

PostSubject: Re: Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing?   Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing? EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 5:36 am

how much is each code worth? also, i've got Gamecube games that had a different currecny of points. i'm pretty sure they're supposed to count towards this but do you know what they're worth too?
Back to top Go down
Tired-Hippo
Make it stop!
Make it stop!

Male

PostSubject: Re: Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing?   Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing? EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 5:44 am

I don't bloody know, just put them all in, I know that to get the 100 wii points card I had to use my points for the new wii and nick pleckos points for her new DS.
Back to top Go down
mrblackbat
Right Hand of Doom
Right Hand of Doom
mrblackbat

Number of posts : 3412

PostSubject: Re: Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing?   Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing? EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 5:56 am

DLC is good. Charging for it is bad. Especially when you usually get the same content free with the PC version.
Back to top Go down
ginwai
ginwai

PostSubject: Re: Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing?   Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing? EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 6:31 am

where's the code for buying a Wii?!
Back to top Go down
Tired-Hippo
Make it stop!
Make it stop!

Male

PostSubject: Re: Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing?   Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing? EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 12:39 pm

On a scratch card type thing, same as all the other star catelogue things.

And DLC usually refers to pay for stuff, even though the free stuff doesn't have a namew beyond "OMFG THEY'RE GIVING IT TO US FOR FREE!!!"
Back to top Go down
ginwai
ginwai

PostSubject: Re: Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing?   Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing? EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 1:22 pm

found it. if each game's worth 250 and the Wii is 1250 then i've got exactly 4000 points.

you didn't warn me i had to fill in a fucking questionnaire for each one. fucking hell, this is annoying.
Back to top Go down
ReDfEsTeR
Right Hand of Doom
Right Hand of Doom
ReDfEsTeR

Male
Number of posts : 3269

PostSubject: Re: Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing?   Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing? EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 1:43 pm

good thing! Up

i've only ever bought one DLC package but it was splendid
Back to top Go down
ginwai
ginwai

PostSubject: Re: Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing?   Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing? EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 2:48 pm

Never done it myself as the Wii is a backwards console.

I got 3900 points. Umbrella Chronicles and Link's Crossbow Training shortchanged me Grumble, groan, moan
Back to top Go down
Tired-Hippo
Make it stop!
Make it stop!

Male

PostSubject: Re: Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing?   Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing? EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 3:02 pm

Heh...got any DS games, or anyone you know with DS games?

Ask tink if you can have one of her codes.
Back to top Go down
Tired-Hippo
Make it stop!
Make it stop!

Male

PostSubject: Re: Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing?   Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing? EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 3:03 pm

Oh wait...I can give you my super smash bros brawl code if you haven't used one for that?
Back to top Go down
ginwai
ginwai

PostSubject: Re: Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing?   Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing? EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 3:22 pm

Thanks but I'd feel like I've stolen a Kirby fridge magnet from you. I'll just have to buy House Of The Dead: Overkill Creepy Smile

If I bought 2 copies of Brawl I'd expect to be able to claim all the points. Does it not work that way?
Back to top Go down
Tired-Hippo
Make it stop!
Make it stop!

Male

PostSubject: Re: Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing?   Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing? EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 4:09 pm

I can't use the code though, because I've already used frazers SSBB code.
Back to top Go down
ginwai
ginwai

PostSubject: Re: Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing?   Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing? EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 4:54 pm

Does he not use them then?

Do me a favour; delete that before some nobber steals it and PM me. Ta Creepy Smile
Back to top Go down
Tired-Hippo
Make it stop!
Make it stop!

Male

PostSubject: Re: Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing?   Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing? EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Frazer already has ¬_¬
Back to top Go down
ginwai
ginwai

PostSubject: Re: Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing?   Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing? EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 5:11 pm

I hate him so much.
Back to top Go down

Downloadable content...a good thing or a bad thing?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ಠ_ಠ :: Forums :: Games-
Jump to: