ಠ_ಠ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ಠ_ಠ

ಠ_ಠ

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The teach Hippo good grammar thread.

Go down 
+10
Hector
tinkapeel
ReDfEsTeR
lobster_johnson
Spectral Knight
Ollie
AceCombat
Narg
Goostaph
Tired-Hippo
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Tired-Hippo
Make it stop!
Make it stop!

Male
Number of posts : 22552

The teach Hippo good grammar thread. Empty
PostSubject: The teach Hippo good grammar thread.   The teach Hippo good grammar thread. EmptySun Apr 12, 2009 2:08 pm

Teach!
Back to top Go down
Goostaph
Evangelist
Evangelist

Male
Number of posts : 2445

PostSubject: Re: The teach Hippo good grammar thread.   The teach Hippo good grammar thread. EmptySun Apr 12, 2009 2:11 pm

GOINGITFUKEDYAPRICKYE!
Back to top Go down
Tired-Hippo
Make it stop!
Make it stop!

Male

PostSubject: Re: The teach Hippo good grammar thread.   The teach Hippo good grammar thread. EmptySun Apr 12, 2009 2:12 pm

Quite.

One thing I never remember having explained in school was nouns/pronouns/verbs/adverbs and all that.
Back to top Go down
Narg
Kristyn II
Kristyn II
Narg

Male
Number of posts : 1123

PostSubject: Re: The teach Hippo good grammar thread.   The teach Hippo good grammar thread. EmptySun Apr 12, 2009 4:34 pm

A noun is a "thing", an object... house is a noun, so is field, or sky. It can also be a concept or abstract object, for example love or chemistry.

Nouns come in two forms, proper nouns and common nouns. Proper nouns are usually names of things, and should always begin with capitals. Derek, Oreos and Travel Inn are proper nouns. Any other nouns are classed as common nouns.

Pronouns are words that can be substituted in for nouns. Words like "you" or "he".

Adjectives describe nouns. "Red" is the adjective in "Jason's big nipples are red". Can you spot the other adjective? Can you spot the nouns? Classify the nouns as proper or common.
Back to top Go down
Tired-Hippo
Make it stop!
Make it stop!

Male

PostSubject: Re: The teach Hippo good grammar thread.   The teach Hippo good grammar thread. EmptySun Apr 12, 2009 4:57 pm

Bantha already taught me.
Back to top Go down
AceCombat
A Very Good Troll
A Very Good Troll

Female
Number of posts : 8855

PostSubject: Re: The teach Hippo good grammar thread.   The teach Hippo good grammar thread. EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 2:39 am

What about "the destruction of the city" that's also an NP.
Back to top Go down
Tired-Hippo
Make it stop!
Make it stop!

Male

PostSubject: Re: The teach Hippo good grammar thread.   The teach Hippo good grammar thread. EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 4:52 am

Non playable character?
Back to top Go down
AceCombat
A Very Good Troll
A Very Good Troll

Female

PostSubject: Re: The teach Hippo good grammar thread.   The teach Hippo good grammar thread. EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 5:29 am

I'm just saying that an event should also be included as a possible Noun Phrase...
Back to top Go down
Tired-Hippo
Make it stop!
Make it stop!

Male

PostSubject: Re: The teach Hippo good grammar thread.   The teach Hippo good grammar thread. EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 5:35 am

A quick time event?
Back to top Go down
AceCombat
A Very Good Troll
A Very Good Troll

Female

PostSubject: Re: The teach Hippo good grammar thread.   The teach Hippo good grammar thread. EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 5:54 am

Here's something new for you:

The Locality Condition - an argument getting a θ role from a predicate must be local to the predicate (meaning that they have to be in the same clause)

Why is this important, you ask? Because in sentences that have raising verbs such as "John is likely to leave", "John" and "to leave" are not in the same clause, therefor, I'm sure you're asking yourself "wait a minute, Sarah Silverman, doesn't this violate what you just said? because John would be given the θ role of agent from the verb "to leave". So I will tell you, young Jason, that it doesn't violate the rule because there's a Trace here, meaning that the D-Structure of this sentence would be "Is likely John to leave" and because of the EPP John is moved to the subject position, but the distribution of θ roles precedes movement and therefor the condition is still satisfied.
Back to top Go down
Tired-Hippo
Make it stop!
Make it stop!

Male

PostSubject: Re: The teach Hippo good grammar thread.   The teach Hippo good grammar thread. EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 6:25 am

Quite.

I hate the word filter for the most part.
Back to top Go down
AceCombat
A Very Good Troll
A Very Good Troll

Female

PostSubject: Re: The teach Hippo good grammar thread.   The teach Hippo good grammar thread. EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 6:28 am

I want to see if Sabru will understand it. I've simplified it as much as possible....
Back to top Go down
Tired-Hippo
Make it stop!
Make it stop!

Male

PostSubject: Re: The teach Hippo good grammar thread.   The teach Hippo good grammar thread. EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 6:28 am

Now you're just trying to make bantha jealous.
Back to top Go down
Ollie
Evangelist
Evangelist
Ollie

Male
Number of posts : 2471

PostSubject: Re: The teach Hippo good grammar thread.   The teach Hippo good grammar thread. EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 6:33 am

Grammer is for faggots
Back to top Go down
AceCombat
A Very Good Troll
A Very Good Troll

Female

PostSubject: Re: The teach Hippo good grammar thread.   The teach Hippo good grammar thread. EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 6:51 am

Tired-Hippo wrote:
Now you're just trying to make bantha jealous.

Not everyone's like you, Jason.
Back to top Go down
Tired-Hippo
Make it stop!
Make it stop!

Male

PostSubject: Re: The teach Hippo good grammar thread.   The teach Hippo good grammar thread. EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 7:08 am

You are though aren't you, you can't decide between narg and bantha.

Oh what a triangle of love and lies.
Back to top Go down
AceCombat
A Very Good Troll
A Very Good Troll

Female

PostSubject: Re: The teach Hippo good grammar thread.   The teach Hippo good grammar thread. EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 7:12 am

Facepalm
Back to top Go down
Tired-Hippo
Make it stop!
Make it stop!

Male

PostSubject: Re: The teach Hippo good grammar thread.   The teach Hippo good grammar thread. EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 7:16 am

You could lighten up and laugh and joke about it, unless you're dumb enough to believe I ACTUALLY think theres a love triangle between the most unpredictable man alive, a potato headed mysterious assasin, and a moody jew who lives on another continent.
Back to top Go down
AceCombat
A Very Good Troll
A Very Good Troll

Female

PostSubject: Re: The teach Hippo good grammar thread.   The teach Hippo good grammar thread. EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 7:21 am

You're obviously trying to out my secret here, so if you can, please SHHHHHHHH
Back to top Go down
Tired-Hippo
Make it stop!
Make it stop!

Male

PostSubject: Re: The teach Hippo good grammar thread.   The teach Hippo good grammar thread. EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 7:22 am

I didn't know you had a secret, and I don't care all that much.
Back to top Go down
Goostaph
Evangelist
Evangelist

Male

PostSubject: Re: The teach Hippo good grammar thread.   The teach Hippo good grammar thread. EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 7:22 am

Are you drunk Hippo?
Back to top Go down
Tired-Hippo
Make it stop!
Make it stop!

Male

PostSubject: Re: The teach Hippo good grammar thread.   The teach Hippo good grammar thread. EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 7:29 am

No goo, but if you wish to pay for me to become so, then feel free.
Back to top Go down
Goostaph
Evangelist
Evangelist

Male

PostSubject: Re: The teach Hippo good grammar thread.   The teach Hippo good grammar thread. EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 7:34 am

Do I seem to you like the type of person that would give the likes of you any amount of my hard earned cash?
Back to top Go down
Tired-Hippo
Make it stop!
Make it stop!

Male

PostSubject: Re: The teach Hippo good grammar thread.   The teach Hippo good grammar thread. EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 7:38 am

................................yes.
Back to top Go down
Spectral Knight
Well-endowed
Well-endowed
Spectral Knight

Male
Number of posts : 11084

PostSubject: Re: The teach Hippo good grammar thread.   The teach Hippo good grammar thread. EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 7:39 am

No, but you do seem like the type of person that would give ME quite a large amount of your hard-won cash. Because you didn't really earn that, and obviously as such, feel little emotional connection with it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The teach Hippo good grammar thread.   The teach Hippo good grammar thread. Empty

Back to top Go down

The teach Hippo good grammar thread.
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next