ಠ_ಠ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ಠ_ಠ

ಠ_ಠ

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world?

Go down 
+10
Resurrection_Tokyo
Sgt Fury
Ollie
r new pal
Spectral Knight
BRYN_BORANGA
ginwai
AceCombat
kimdealslover
Tired-Hippo
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
BRYN_BORANGA
Gozer ¬_¬
Gozer ¬_¬
BRYN_BORANGA

Male
Number of posts : 4880

What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world?   What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 3:12 am

No, that scene was definitely on the video I had, maybe it was an earlier edition? Actually, I don't know if it's on the DVD, I'll have to check that. I know they've cut a few songs out of the episodes in the DVDs.
Back to top Go down
r new pal
Gozer ¬_¬
Gozer ¬_¬
r new pal

Male
Number of posts : 4943

PostSubject: Re: What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world?   What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 3:13 am

They also avoid screening the Only Fools episodes with racial and sexual slurs.
Back to top Go down
ginwai
Shapeshifting Master of Darkness
Shapeshifting Master of Darkness
ginwai

Number of posts : 5066

PostSubject: Re: What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world?   What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 3:13 am

maybe i'm so un-PC it just breezed past me.
Back to top Go down
kimdealslover
Funky Samurai
Funky Samurai
kimdealslover

Male
Number of posts : 1461

PostSubject: Re: What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world?   What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 3:16 am

Armstrong and Miller have never made me laugh. I think I raised a smile years ago when they did a parody sketch of a disaster movie "Listen to me! It's gonna PISS DOWN!"

Anything else is a complete waste of time.
Back to top Go down
BRYN_BORANGA
Gozer ¬_¬
Gozer ¬_¬
BRYN_BORANGA

Male

PostSubject: Re: What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world?   What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 3:18 am

The scene's on the DVD in its uncut glory too, which is a shame cos I wanted to be furious at the BBC for something.
Back to top Go down
kimdealslover
Funky Samurai
Funky Samurai
kimdealslover

Male

PostSubject: Re: What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world?   What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 3:20 am

Grass-Delegate wrote:

Funny how they'll show the exploding sex dolls episode though.
Back to top Go down
r new pal
Gozer ¬_¬
Gozer ¬_¬
r new pal

Male

PostSubject: Re: What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world?   What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 3:20 am

Yeah, the BBC DVDs are uncut. They'd fucking better be for 13 quid, too.
Back to top Go down
r new pal
Gozer ¬_¬
Gozer ¬_¬
r new pal

Male

PostSubject: Re: What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world?   What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 3:21 am

kimdealslover wrote:
Grass-Delegate wrote:

Funny how they'll show the exploding sex dolls episode though.

More cut than you think. They removed sexual features from the dolls. Funnily enough, they might not care as much about that these days.
Back to top Go down
BRYN_BORANGA
Gozer ¬_¬
Gozer ¬_¬
BRYN_BORANGA

Male

PostSubject: Re: What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world?   What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 3:23 am

Grass-Delegate wrote:
Yeah, the BBC DVDs are uncut.

Well, apart from the music. They're too tight to shell out for that.
Back to top Go down
kimdealslover
Funky Samurai
Funky Samurai
kimdealslover

Male

PostSubject: Re: What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world?   What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 3:25 am

There's one episode that I've seen that's only been repeated once. Del Boy gets trapped in a chalet bar with some nutter who's going to kill him if he doesn't play invisible pool. I don't know why, but they just don't show it when they screen the really old episodes...mainly because they weren't funny, but I'm guessing because it's a bit violent and takes the piss out of the mentally ill.

Last edited by kimdealslover on Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
r new pal
Gozer ¬_¬
Gozer ¬_¬
r new pal

Male

PostSubject: Re: What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world?   What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 3:25 am

The episodes I downloaded have the music and they're not off the TV, either. I have the VHS of Bambi, Nasty and Time and that has the music, too. Must be another BBC cutback that's a result of raising license fees.
Back to top Go down
r new pal
Gozer ¬_¬
Gozer ¬_¬
r new pal

Male

PostSubject: Re: What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world?   What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 3:27 am

kimdealslover wrote:
There's one episode that I've seen that's only been repeated once. Del Boy gets trapped in a chalet bar with some nutter who's going to kill him if he doesn't play invisible pool with him. I don't know why, but they just don't show it when they screen the really old episodes...mainly because they weren't funny, but I'm guessing because it's a bit violent and takes the piss out of the mentally ill.

I like the older ones. Del was more sly and Rodney was more of a plonker. They don't show that one because it's possibly the worst episode and doesn't follow the usual formula.
Back to top Go down
kimdealslover
Funky Samurai
Funky Samurai
kimdealslover

Male

PostSubject: Re: What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world?   What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 3:27 am

Grass-Delegate wrote:
The episodes I downloaded have the music and they're not off the TV, either. I have the VHS of Bambi, Nasty and Time and that has the music, too. Must be another BBC cutback that's a result of raising license fees.

They blew it all on Red Dwarf's Remastered episodes at the time...probably.

"What? They cut out the black card joke for 3 seconds of CGI?!"
Back to top Go down
r new pal
Gozer ¬_¬
Gozer ¬_¬
r new pal

Male

PostSubject: Re: What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world?   What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 3:30 am

They remastered Red Dwarf? They totally missed the point. Its big draw was its play-prop-like cheapness.

Last edited by Grass-Delegate on Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BRYN_BORANGA
Gozer ¬_¬
Gozer ¬_¬
BRYN_BORANGA

Male

PostSubject: Re: What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world?   What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 3:30 am

They cut out Jools Holland and his band singing 'Subterranean Homesick Blues' from an episode. I can hardly say I was devastated but I'd prefer to see the fucking episodes in full pl0x.
Back to top Go down
r new pal
Gozer ¬_¬
Gozer ¬_¬
r new pal

Male

PostSubject: Re: What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world?   What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 3:32 am

The worst thing I think I've ever seen, is UKTV Gold talking over the last 30 seconds of an episode. How mindless do they think we are? I've not been fucking lobotomised, I do want to hear the climax of the last 40 minutes viewing.
Back to top Go down
Spectral Knight
Well-endowed
Well-endowed
Spectral Knight

Male
Number of posts : 11084

PostSubject: Re: What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world?   What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 3:35 am

I think the remastering worked well for Thanks for the Memory...the out of control Midget flying back to the Dwarf is a brilliant scene.

I'm still hesitant on getting the first three again on DVD for the re-mastered. I've got the remastered ones on VHS, but no longer have a video player. I do have all three original versions on DVD though..
Back to top Go down
kimdealslover
Funky Samurai
Funky Samurai
kimdealslover

Male

PostSubject: Re: What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world?   What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 3:41 am

The remastering didn't work at all. Scenes like that were just 'enhanced' cos the the newest series at the time was drifting into dramatic sci-fi. They completely forgot that Red Dwarf was a sitcom first, sci-fi second.
Back to top Go down
r new pal
Gozer ¬_¬
Gozer ¬_¬
r new pal

Male

PostSubject: Re: What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world?   What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 3:46 am

kimdealslover wrote:
The remastering didn't work at all. Scenes like that were just 'enhanced' cos the the newest series at the time was drifting into dramatic sci-fi. They completely forgot that Red Dwarf was a sitcom first, sci-fi second.

I sometimes forget it's a sitcom.
Back to top Go down
Spectral Knight
Well-endowed
Well-endowed
Spectral Knight

Male

PostSubject: Re: What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world?   What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 3:49 am

Hmmm...not sure. From the very first series, it was still very sci-fi orientated. Waiting for invisible shoulder-bunnies, Me2 and Confidence and Paranoia wouldn't work in a non-sci-fi setting.
Back to top Go down
kimdealslover
Funky Samurai
Funky Samurai
kimdealslover

Male

PostSubject: Re: What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world?   What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 3:53 am

True, it had the elements of sci-fi, but a majority of those episodes were still confrontations between Lister and Rimmer in their quarters. Confidence and Paranoia deviates from the formula, but it's all based around 2-3 sets at most. The early series adhered to the classic sitcom set-ups. It wouldn't have lasted long that way, but it was lot more funnier since a lot of the dialogue was about Rimmer's childhood failures and Lister's unfufilled dreams. It wasn't sci-fi in the slightest. You could have had them as students or something and a lot of the dialogue would have remained untouched.

I think Marooned was the last good character driven comedy they did before the shift into slapstick action...and that was pretty much early on into the run.
Back to top Go down
Spectral Knight
Well-endowed
Well-endowed
Spectral Knight

Male

PostSubject: Re: What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world?   What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 4:02 am

I think Holoship was quite well played as a character episode. Hardly any slapstick action and no monster of the week either.
Back to top Go down
Ollie
Evangelist
Evangelist
Ollie

Male
Number of posts : 2471

PostSubject: Re: What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world?   What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 11:40 am

Ethiopia:
What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world? - Page 2 Hunger
Back to top Go down
r new pal
Gozer ¬_¬
Gozer ¬_¬
r new pal

Male

PostSubject: Re: What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world?   What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 12:40 pm

lol
Back to top Go down
Sgt Fury
Hero of Time
Hero of Time
Sgt Fury

Male
Number of posts : 2738

PostSubject: Re: What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world?   What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 1:11 pm

It's hardly Stand Up though is it ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world?   What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

What country creates the most cutting edge comedy in the world?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next