ಠ_ಠ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ಠ_ಠ

ಠ_ಠ

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The definitive list of classic games.

Go down 
+8
ginwai
Fu Manchu
Elginboy
Spectral Knight
kimdealslover
O Goncho
lobster_johnson
Tired-Hippo
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
kimdealslover
Funky Samurai
Funky Samurai
kimdealslover

Male
Number of posts : 1461

The definitive list of classic games. - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The definitive list of classic games.   The definitive list of classic games. - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 24, 2009 4:51 pm

Yeah, don't you know the rules Blackbat?

The one that specifically states that if Hippo hasn't played it or just played a demo of it on the PC then it doesn't count. It is HIS list after all.

I'd say Wolfenstein counts just as much as Doom.
Back to top Go down
Tired-Hippo
Make it stop!
Make it stop!

Male
Number of posts : 22552

PostSubject: Re: The definitive list of classic games.   The definitive list of classic games. - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 24, 2009 4:57 pm

You know KDL, when it comes down to it your not ACTUALLY the hardcore gamer you act...you're a specific kind of gamer...mainly survival horror, point and click and cult shit.
Back to top Go down
kimdealslover
Funky Samurai
Funky Samurai
kimdealslover

Male

PostSubject: Re: The definitive list of classic games.   The definitive list of classic games. - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 24, 2009 7:08 pm

Never claimed to be 'hardcore'. But it's pretty obvious that you don't like it when someone actually know a lot more about some games.

It says Definitive List. Not 'Hippo Didn't Like That Game or He Didn't Hear Of The Game On First Release' List.

Next you'll be saying Screamer 2 wasn't a classic racing game cos you only played the demo. Well boo-fucking-hoo.
Back to top Go down
lobster_johnson
The Lobsters Claw of Bile
The Lobsters Claw of Bile
lobster_johnson

Male
Number of posts : 4868

PostSubject: Re: The definitive list of classic games.   The definitive list of classic games. - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 3:23 am

kimdealslover wrote:
It says Definitive List. Not 'Hippo Didn't Like That Game or He Didn't Hear Of The Game On First Release' List.

youre meant to read between the lines.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/bantha_fodder
Tired-Hippo
Make it stop!
Make it stop!

Male

PostSubject: Re: The definitive list of classic games.   The definitive list of classic games. - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 4:53 am

kimdealslover wrote:
Never claimed to be 'hardcore'. But it's pretty obvious that you don't like it when someone actually know a lot more about some games.

Next you'll be saying Screamer 2 wasn't a classic racing game cos you only played the demo. Well boo-fucking-hoo.

The point is to make a list of legendary game...if its some obscure game that it doesn't go in, if it got poor critical response it doesn't go in.

I haven't heard of that snowball game thing...but then I haven't heard of hardly any text based adventure games, so I just asked for it to be sold to me as I'm aware it was an important (although for the most part, awful) genre.

Dune 2 doesn't go in because its considered a pretty poor game.

Screamer 2 doesn't go in cause it was a cock.
Back to top Go down
mrblackbat
Right Hand of Doom
Right Hand of Doom
mrblackbat

Number of posts : 3412

PostSubject: Re: The definitive list of classic games.   The definitive list of classic games. - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 5:14 am

kimdealslover wrote:
Yeah, don't you know the rules Blackbat?

The one that specifically states that if Hippo hasn't played it or just played a demo of it on the PC then it doesn't count. It is HIS list after all.

I'd say Wolfenstein counts just as much as Doom.

Wolfenstein v Doom is a tough one; I say Doom because of deathmatch, really; but Wolfenstein is just as valid.
Back to top Go down
mrblackbat
Right Hand of Doom
Right Hand of Doom
mrblackbat

PostSubject: Re: The definitive list of classic games.   The definitive list of classic games. - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 5:16 am

Tired-Hippo wrote:
kimdealslover wrote:

The point is to make a list of legendary game...if its some obscure game that it doesn't go in, if it got poor critical response it doesn't go in.

I haven't heard of that snowball game thing...but then I haven't heard of hardly any text based adventure games, so I just asked for it to be sold to me as I'm aware it was an important (although for the most part, awful) genre.

Dune 2 doesn't go in because its consider a pretty poor game? By who? You? Without it you don't have RTS games. Non of them. No Command And Conquer. No Warcraft. And therefore no World of Warcraft either. So how, I ask, is that not "legendary" or "classic"?
Back to top Go down
mrblackbat
Right Hand of Doom
Right Hand of Doom
mrblackbat

PostSubject: Re: The definitive list of classic games.   The definitive list of classic games. - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 5:18 am

As for snowball, you can read a bit more about it on the wiki. Definitely worth a play, it's damn bloody good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_Dreams_trilogy#Snowball

Oh and apologies on the contribution snipe; I hadn't actually paid attention to read the edit you added to my quote; thought you were just quoting the whole lot as some kind of "Oh my gawd, how could someone suggest all that" thing.
Back to top Go down
Spectral Knight
Well-endowed
Well-endowed
Spectral Knight

Male
Number of posts : 11084

PostSubject: Re: The definitive list of classic games.   The definitive list of classic games. - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 5:24 am

Don't act shocked, Blackbat...The Longest Journey didn't go on despite popular and critical acclaim...Hippo logic strikes again.

For the record, I don't really think it should be an either/or choice for Wolfenstein and Doom, both should be on the list.
Back to top Go down
Tired-Hippo
Make it stop!
Make it stop!

Male

PostSubject: Re: The definitive list of classic games.   The definitive list of classic games. - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 5:25 am

mrblackbat wrote:
Tired-Hippo wrote:
kimdealslover wrote:

Dune 2 doesn't go in because its consider a pretty poor game? By who? You? Without it you don't have RTS games. Non of them. No Command And Conquer. No Warcraft. And therefore no World of Warcraft either. So how, I ask, is that not "legendary" or "classic"?

For a start it wasn't the first RTS Herzorg zwai and stonkers were, dune 2 was just the first one with the familiar perspective.

Dune 2 also had shite AI that didn't even know how to rebuild things or anything that could be remotely considered flanking.
Back to top Go down
mrblackbat
Right Hand of Doom
Right Hand of Doom
mrblackbat

PostSubject: Re: The definitive list of classic games.   The definitive list of classic games. - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 5:27 am

I knew you'd bring up Herzog Zwai. Which misses the point, cause it's so different from the RTS mould that it's pretty irrelevant. From a certain point of view you can call Cannon Fodder an RTS game; but part of the genre it is not.

As for AI, that's just tweaking. If you start going down that front, then almost none of the games listed can be on the list, because they've been copied, tweaked and improved with later, less famous and less original games.

Last edited by mrblackbat on Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tired-Hippo
Make it stop!
Make it stop!

Male

PostSubject: Re: The definitive list of classic games.   The definitive list of classic games. - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 5:28 am

Snowball will be allowed on the bases that text adventures were important and the only one I can recall was the hobbit.

Certainly a more popular and important genre than the point and click genre.

DON'T GET TROLLED SK!
Back to top Go down
mrblackbat
Right Hand of Doom
Right Hand of Doom
mrblackbat

PostSubject: Re: The definitive list of classic games.   The definitive list of classic games. - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 5:29 am

The hobbit is less good because it didn't really work with the actual story of the Hobbit. If that makes sense.
Back to top Go down
kimdealslover
Funky Samurai
Funky Samurai
kimdealslover

Male

PostSubject: Re: The definitive list of classic games.   The definitive list of classic games. - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 5:29 am

Cock or not. That's still a case of 'I don't like it'.

Dune 2 isn't considered a poor game. Dated and basic? Yes. Craptacular? No. Otherwise we wouldn't have had Command & Conquer and the like.
Back to top Go down
bidders
Awesome Wizard Whale
Awesome Wizard Whale
bidders

Number of posts : 4246

PostSubject: Re: The definitive list of classic games.   The definitive list of classic games. - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 5:30 am

I've got Cannon Fodder on my phone, I love that game.
Back to top Go down
Tired-Hippo
Make it stop!
Make it stop!

Male

PostSubject: Re: The definitive list of classic games.   The definitive list of classic games. - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 5:30 am

RTS require good AI more than most.

If it'll shut you up Dune 2 can go in.

But on the condition that nothing SK suggests goes in.
Back to top Go down
mrblackbat
Right Hand of Doom
Right Hand of Doom
mrblackbat

A few more things I forgot, in the world of turn based strategy... Civilization and Laser Squad.
Back to top Go down
mrblackbat
Right Hand of Doom
Right Hand of Doom
mrblackbat

PostSubject: Re: The definitive list of classic games.   The definitive list of classic games. - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 5:32 am

Tired-Hippo wrote:
RTS require good AI more than most.

If it'll shut you up Dune 2 can go in.

But on the condition that nothing SK suggests goes in.

They do, but the absolute definitive genre classic has to be Dune 2; simply because it set up the rules which everything else copied. And indirectly led to one of the biggest games of all time being made.
Back to top Go down
mrblackbat
Right Hand of Doom
Right Hand of Doom
mrblackbat

PostSubject: Re: The definitive list of classic games.   The definitive list of classic games. - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 5:33 am

bidders wrote:

Shame Cannon Fodder 2 was so shit, really.
Back to top Go down
kimdealslover
Funky Samurai
Funky Samurai
kimdealslover

Male

PostSubject: Re: The definitive list of classic games.   The definitive list of classic games. - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 5:33 am

I liked Laser Squad...BUT X-Com was remembered more and is definately the superior of the two.
Back to top Go down
Tired-Hippo
Make it stop!
Make it stop!

Male

bidders wrote:

Thats in.

Fact is all 3 of ytou are more cult, niche gamers, KDL's known for obscure japan and survival horror, SK goes on and on about point and lick games, and bat spends his life playing Internet Spaceships online.

All 3 of you need to step back and recognise that.

I'd still allow plenty of xbox games like halo, gears of war and fable in, even though I dislike the xbox.

Overly niche games don't get in.
Back to top Go down
bidders
Awesome Wizard Whale
Awesome Wizard Whale
bidders

Number of posts : 4246

PostSubject: Re: The definitive list of classic games.   The definitive list of classic games. - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 5:34 am

mrblackbat wrote:
bidders wrote:

Shame Cannon Fodder 2 was so shit, really.

I'm not sure I ever played the sequel.
Back to top Go down
kimdealslover
Funky Samurai
Funky Samurai
kimdealslover

Male

PostSubject: Re: The definitive list of classic games.   The definitive list of classic games. - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 5:34 am

I loved the first Cannon Fodder. The last level was such a bitch that I never finished it though. You had have a perfect run, not one chance for a foul up and if you lost one guy then the whole plan fell apart.

That put me off CF2 for life!
Back to top Go down
Spectral Knight
Well-endowed
Well-endowed
Spectral Knight

Male
Number of posts : 11084

YES to Civ. The first one doesn't hold up quite so good these days, but playing Civvy 2 last year and it's still as solid as the day it was released. Quality.
Back to top Go down
Tired-Hippo
Make it stop!
Make it stop!

Male

PostSubject: Re: The definitive list of classic games.   The definitive list of classic games. - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 5:35 am

Civ yes...laser squad...sell it to me.

Although a game with a title that fucking awful a title doesn't deserve to be in.

And this isn't going to turn into the list of "PC games that everyone on mirc owns yet no one else has even heard of".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The definitive list of classic games.   The definitive list of classic games. - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

The definitive list of classic games.
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next